View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #56
Hope

Default I did react differently in the mid 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBW View Post
Thanks Don. You have cleared it up. It was not a one-sided thing (as I had suspected), but it was a muddy mess. I only asked for your input because I knew that you would have as complete a history as we could get. I did not recall that the “event” was actually in your living room.

I understand that your goal was not to start a WL local church. I even trust that your motives and actions were as pure as you could realize at the time. It is possible that the same could be said for the others who were there.

But it is funny what it all turned into over time. Have you ever considered how you would have reacted to the LC in the mid 60s if it had been operating as it was in the mid 80s and beyond? Don’t answer that. It would be pure speculation. I always believe that introducing one “if” justifies changing everything which makes such inquiries futile.
Hello Mike,

I can answer your what if. The LC and in particular the LSM was a different animal from what was there in the mid 60s. In the mid 60s there was no LSM. There was no "the ministry", there was no Anaheim headquarters, there was no pledge of loyalty and oneness to "the Apostle", in fact there was no "the Apostle." Nobody was checking you out to see if you were doing your own thing and not fully following the ministry and its office. I could go on and on regarding the items that were added. The mid 60s were so much better as all we had was basically the Bible without footnotes, the Spirit, prayer and love for the brothers and sisters.

As regards to my historical account: Got any clues as to where I am going??

I LEFT IN THE MID 80s. That is not a speculation but is what happened. Thankful Jane says I went poof. I never ever had any fear of some terrible fate due to my "abandonment of the ministry." Rather I had a great fear regarding staying. Had I quenched the clear conviction of the Lord to sever my ties to the LSM and the recovery movement I was clear that I may be through with the Lord. The transition was not easy and I experienced a lot of guilt and accusation for my great failures as an elder while in the LC movement, (putting my own interests ahead of the welfare of the brothers and sisters etc...) But I never was bothered for one second regarding my decision. After that decision the Bible became like an adventure story and so much light poured out. Going with the HWMR or Life Studies would be a big step down and backwards. Never had I had such a depth and width in my prayer life. Fellowship with fellow believers was sweeter than I ever could have imagined. It was like the Christian life started over for me. Yes, I did walk through many valleys of the shadow of death but I feared no evil for His rod and staff were my comfort. Praise God, a new day had dawned. I could write for days about the wonderful experiences of Christ we have had since that fateful day.

Here is how it happened. I was attending a soccer game of my daughter (was she ever a great player!!! She was called a magician. One sports reported declared that she had an invisible string between her foot and the ball. She earned a full scholarship to the University of Mississippi and still holds SEC records in women's soccer) but back to the point. I was going through the mail. I opened a packet from the LSM. There was Benson Phillips diatribe against the elders in Anaheim. I read it while the play continued. By the time the game was over my time in the movement was over. Yes, I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach but my spirit was rising and I shared with Sheryl the situation. She saw it the same way and we have been going on together step for step ever since.

Early during this time the Lord gave me this passage as a theme for my experience during those days.

Ps 66:8-20
Bless our God, O peoples,And sound His praise abroad,
9 Who keeps us in life,And does not allow our feet to slip.
10 For Thou hast tried us, O God;Thou hast refined us as silver is refined.
11 Thou didst bring us into the net;Thou didst lay an oppressive burden upon our loins.
12 Thou didst make men ride over our heads;We went through fire and through water;Yet Thou didst bring us out into a place of abundance.
13 I shall come into Thy house with burnt offerings;I shall pay Thee my vows,
14 Which my lips uttered And my mouth spoke when I was in distress.
15 I shall offer to Thee burnt offerings of fat beasts,With the smoke of rams;I shall make an offering of bulls with male goats.Selah.
16 Come and hear, all who fear God,And I will tell of what He has done for my soul.
17 I cried to Him with my mouth,And He was extolled with my tongue.
18 If I regard wickedness in my heart,The Lord will not hear;
19 But certainly God has heard;He has given heed to the voice of my prayer.
20 Blessed be God,Who has not turned away my prayer,Nor His lovingkindness from me. NASB

Mike, pleae read the above passage carefully. The Word of God is true and does not return void. I awake everyday looking forward to what the Lord has for me, Ps 118:24, 24 This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it. NASB

I do not fear or dread the future, Zeph 3:15, The LORD has taken away His judgments against you, He has cleared away your enemies. The King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst;
You will fear disaster no more. NASB Bold words are by me.

This is enough for now. Mike, your question just set off my rejoicing spirit and song.

In Christ Jesus,

Hope, Don Rutledge

In Christ Jesus there is hope for us all,

Hope, Don Rutledge

Last edited by Hope; 07-24-2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: adding more
Hope is offline   Reply With Quote