“A Text without a context is just a pretext for what we want it to mean”
Ben Witherington lll

-
αὐτῷ ἡ δόξα καὶ τὸ κράτος εἰς τοὺς αἰῶνας τῶν αἰώνων ἀμήν - 1 Peter 5:11
UntoHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
Copper

Default Re: Quotes and Memes

If the one on the podium examines and questions everyone in the pews, but nobody in the pews gets to question the one on the podium, what kind of church group is that!?
Old 05-12-2020, 12:22 AM   #4
Kevin

Acts 17:11 ►
"Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

Old 05-12-2020, 03:18 AM   #5
ByGodsGrace

It was David who said Of Saul I will touch not the Lord’s anointed (in the context to harm Saul when he had the opportunity to... even though Saul was trying to kill him) because he understood that God blesses us when we honor his authority structure and He was going to humbly wait for God’s proper time to fulfill His promise that He may exalt him in the proper time.

HOWEVER it is SO TRUE that when the authority (like Saul) is out of line with God’s will then we have some very valid questions and considerations and prayers to make which is def not “touching the Lords anointed” but rather using discernment and wisdom. Anyone who is saying that questioning an authority’s words is touching the Lords anointed is def not applying that truth in its context. When things get unhealthy we may NEED to come out of alignment with that person in order to come under God’s will.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:18 AM   #6
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByGodsGrace View Post
It was David who said Of Saul I will touch not the Lord’s anointed (in the context to harm Saul when he had the opportunity to... even though Saul was trying to kill him) because he understood that God blesses us when we honor his authority structure and He was going to humbly wait for God’s proper time to fulfill His promise that He may exalt him in the proper time.

HOWEVER it is SO TRUE that when the authority (like Saul) is out of line with God’s will then we have some very valid questions and considerations and prayers to make which is def not “touching the Lords anointed” but rather using discernment and wisdom. Anyone who is saying that questioning an authority’s words is touching the Lords anointed is def not applying that truth in its context. When things get unhealthy we may NEED to come out of alignment with that person in order to come under God’s will.
Yes, the meme is pointing to false teachers like Benny Hinn who said one of the most arrogant claims these people have. Somehow the phrase 'touch not the Lord's anointed' could be similar about the Minister of the Age not to question his teachings. No matter what church you attend, if a pastor/elder rebukes you simply for questioning him about something he's said, endorsed, or is teaching that you believe is not biblical, red flags should fly high! In my experience I was told not to exercise my mind because questioning is of the devil. Later I did realize it was a mind controlling thing.

"Get out of your mind, get your spirit in gear!"

Quote:
he understood that God blesses us when we honor his authority structure and He was going to humbly wait for God’s proper time to fulfill His promise that He may exalt him in the proper time.
This has nothing to do in a New Testament church leadership. Leaders in the OT are not the same in the NT. Witness Lee is NOT today's Moses. The Bible is the ultimate authority in the church, not the church leaders.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:53 AM   #7
Nell
Admin/Moderator

When you don’t know the truth of a matter, don’t form an opinion until you do know. Jesse Penn Lewis, War on the Saints
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:43 AM   #8
OBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByGodsGrace View Post
It was David who said Of Saul I will touch not the Lord’s anointed (in the context to harm Saul when he had the opportunity to... even though Saul was trying to kill him)
And here the context is stated.

At this time, Saul was anointed under God's direction to be king. And David had also been anointed to be the next king. Both anointings were established by outward acts. There was no mystery as to God's ultimate intentions.

But without divine instruction to take action to claim the kingdom as his, David understood that the choice as to when he would become king was not his own.

As for modern-day prophets, teachers, or MOTAs, there is no evidence of a permanent and lasting anointing that makes them anything worthy of laying claim to Saul's position as anointed and the rest of us simply putting up with it because we are not that anointed one. That does not mean that there is no leadership in the church in this age. Jesus spent three years getting the first of those leaders ready. But theirs was not a position to own or lay claim to. Instead, they served the church as Christ had commanded them. And the evidence is that over time there was change in the leadership.
OBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:29 AM   #9
Kevin

Old 05-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #10
Kevin

Old 05-20-2020, 05:11 PM   #11
Kevin

God has used Ravi as an instrument to further the faith of so many.
#ThankyouRavi
Old 06-11-2020, 12:53 AM   #12
Kevin

If the sense of life is your standard of morality, then Scripture is not your absolute standard and final authority.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #13
Kevin